Thursday, April 13, 2006

Don't Pass Over Maundy Thursday

"Maundy is from a Latin word meaning "Mandate" or Commandment. It reminds us that on the Thursday before Jesus Christ was crucified he instituted the Holy Communion at the Last Supper. At that Supper he commanded his disciples to continue with this celebration of Holy Communion as a way of remembering what his death accomplished. He also commanded his disciples to serve others by using the image of the washing of the feet of his disciples."
(cited from here)

The following scripture is appropriate for Passover/Maundy Thursday. It's from the Scholars Version (Read my previous post):

.
Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, "Take this and share it among yourselves. For I tell you, I certainly won't drink any of them fruit of the vine from now on until God's domain is established!"
And he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it into pieces, offered it to them, and said, "This is my body which is offered for you. Do this as my memorial."
And, in the same manner, the cup after dinner and said, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. Yet look! Here with me at this very table is the one who is going to turn me in. The son of Adam goes to meet his destiny; yet damn the one responsible for turning him in."
And they began to ask one another which of them could possibly attempt such a thing...
..."You are the ones who have stuck by me in my ordeals. And I confer on you the right to rule, just as surely as my Father conferred that right on me, so you may eat and drink at my table in my domain, and be seated on thrones and sit in judgment on the twelve tribes of Israel. "Simon, Simon, look out, Satan is after all of you, to winnow you like wheat. But I have prayed for you that your trust may not give out. And once you have recovered, you are to shore up these brothers of yours."
He said to him, "Master, I'm prepared to follow you not only to prison but all the way to death."
He said, "Let me tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow tonight until you disavow three times that you know me."
(Luke 22:17-23, 28-34) .

And the rest, as they say, is Eastery.