Thursday, March 30, 2006

This Just In: Prayer Doesn't Work

Over the past month, my church has been earnestly praying for our pastor's health. He had a heart surgery which was intended to keep him in the hospital for 2-3 days but turned into a month. At the time of the operation things looked grim by major complications. Straddling death's threshold, we weren't sure Dan would make it. There were times the doctors doubted he would. I had some confrontations with God that week, and I prayed that his will WAS that he spare my mentor and friend. I didn't resign to some fatalistic view where "we don't know what God's will is, blah, blah, blah." I know God is sovereign, and his will is what it is. But the Bible demonstrates how we should approach these situations and I boldly pleaded that God's will was that he heal him. Dan is home now, weak, but healthy and recovering. We are all rejoicing in God's grace in answering prayer.

BUT, I just recieved an email from my Uncle John, who also is a member of my flock, who laughed out loud when he read this brand new news article proclaiming that
"Study Fails to Show Healing Power of Prayer." Oops. I repent of my foolish illusion that God heard us.