Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Ever Present Need"

I've had a beautiful and haunting melody in my head for a while, by Steve Bell. I wish I was able to have the entire song available in audio, but you can here a portion of it here (it's number 3).

Ever Present Need
- Steve Bell
Lyrics adapted from Daniel Ladinski’s translation of
‘Our Need for Thee’ in Love Poems from God.
Original poem by St. Francis of Assisi.
.
Darkness is an unlit wick
A simple spark would vanquish it
Truly I could burst to flame
Every time you call my name
Do I do for you the same
.
God is like a honey bee
Penetrates the soul of me
Dearly draws the sweetness in
Nectar of the meek love is
He in me and I in him
.
In our ever present need of thee
Grant we fathom peace
Fashion instruments of souls set free
For don’t the caged ones weep
.
Sometimes sober sometimes bliss
Every union knows of this
But I have stood here in his rain
And bear the marks of fertile plains
Swelling streams and swollen grain
.
So will I console the fall
Of cheerless creatures great and small
What of sadness can endure
When love divine makes insecure
The crowing claims of shame’s allure
.
In our ever present need of thee
Grant we fathom peace
Fashion instruments of souls set free
For don’t the caged ones weep