Monday, January 16, 2006

Man's Best Friend


Here are some pictures of my dogs, well, my father's dogs. My dad and stepmom Cassi have a kennel, "Horai-San Akitas." Cassi (in the photos) shows them, many of which are champions in both the U.S. and Canada. The Akita is a beautiful Japanese breed, which were bred to guard the emperor and to hunt bear, and remain Japan's national dog. Although very tough and aggressive, they are gentle and loyal, often babysitting infants in the royal palace. The first Akita in North America came back with Helen Keller as a gift from Japan (see below). The breed gained American publicity when the only witness to the Nicole Simpson murders was O.J.'s Akita.
They aren't for everyone, as they require much attention and would never tolerate being tied up. I've lost track now, but my dad and Cassi have about a dozen Akitas.