Friday, December 02, 2005

My Beautiful Wife


I would just like to again pay tribute to my gorgeous and brilliant love of my life, Emily Joyce, by whom I am so blessed. She's already a wonderful mother, and the baby hasn't even been born yet!

Her blog, Letters Mingling, is a nod to John Donne, the 17th century English poet and preacher. Emily wrote an incredible BA Honours thesis entitled, "'Draw Mine Iron Heart:' John Donne and Moderate Calvinist Conformity in the Seventeenth Century". She argued from his sonnets and sermons that Donne, the Anglican dean of St. Paul's Cathedral in London, was indeed Calvinistic, which reflected the religious temper of the time. Most scholars argue that he was more Roman Catholic in his beliefs, but Emily Belli and only a couple guys at Oxford argue that he was Reformed, just not a Separatist like, say, me.

Anyway, even if Emily wasn't as smart, even if she was a bad English scholar who wrote that Shakespeare was a Buddhist and Jane Austen a Muslim Jihadist (for which I believe there's a strong case), I would still love her more than anything.

My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
And true plain hearts do in the faces rest ;
Where can we find two better hemispheres
Without sharp north, without declining west ?
Whatever dies, was not mix'd equally;
If our two loves be one, or thou and I
Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die.
-John Donne, from "The Good-Morrow"